Paladin cards, from Dock

Forum for international users. Fans of HQ-Modular can exchange experiences and ask questions.

Moderator: Xarres

Antworten
kenn
Novize
Novize

Paladin cards, from Dock

Beitrag von kenn »

Hi from Ken, I have been playing Heroquest for many years, since it first came out. My grandson age 10 years has recently joined me in the game, and comes to stay once each month to play. He builds Quests, plays Dungeon Master, and makes my players' lives very difficult ! We recently played the Sir Ragnar quest from the original Quest book, and built some quests to follow, with Sir Ragnar as one of the Heroes. Unfortunately the poor fellow was killed in the first of these quests! so we are looking to build a new Knight using the Paladin card & miracles, from Dock, from The Olde Inn Heroquest site. We would like more information on building this Character. Can anyone please give help? Regards Ken
Flint
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Paladin cards, from Dock

Beitrag von Flint »

Hi Ken, what exactly you wanna know... what do you mean with "building" the character ?
dock is part of the Old Scratch forum, I doubt that he will read your question here.
Flint Eisenbart, Sohn von Brôn, Sohn des Andurin.

Offizieller Glöckner der Kirche der geheiligten und erleuchteten Stimmchenhörer :pfeif:

Die Homepage der HQ-Cooperation
kenn
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von kenn »

Hi, the Character Card backing sheet says he gets three new miracles at the start of each quest. Does this mean an extra three each quest completed, or just three at any one quest? When does he graduate to the greater miracles? Is he allowed to buy weapons & armour, or is he limited in any way? Myself, I think he should stick to his starting stats, and rely on the miracles to keep him out of trouble. What do you think?
Flint
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von Flint »

I use to play a paladin myself... but we play it a little different:

We have 8 miracles in total, and the paladin gets 3 miracles for one quest. But he has to draw them coincidently from the pile, which gives him 3 different miracles for each quest.
In our game he is limited to a broadsword (3 attack dice)

It wpould be a good idea to let him graduate to the greater miracles after lets say 10 or so quests without dying. Then after 20, he is allowed to pick miracles instead of drawing them from the hidden pile. Just a few thoughts...

Offizieller Glöckner der Kirche der geheiligten und erleuchteten Stimmchenhörer :pfeif:

kenn
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von kenn »

I tried him today , with my Grandson, here for the day, second quest for the Paladin. I let him chose 4 lesser miracles, one extra. Seemed to work ok. What about a limit on armour, as for the standard Wizard? I will note your graduation to greater miracles after 10 quests.
Flint
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von Flint »

Hmmm... don't know.... nah, I would not limit on armour. You may limit him in accordance to the elf who is only allowed a leather jerkin (defend with one blue combat die instead of a white one). If you don't have blue dice, use a white one and let him defend with a monster skull... but I don't think of good fun, applying that rule to the paladin.

kenn
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von kenn »

Checked my Equipment Cards, no restrictions on the Elf, only the Wizard, are yours different?
Flint
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von Flint »

We modified all our characters :)

kenn
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von kenn »

Ok what are your mods for each character, be interesting to compare.
Flint
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von Flint »

First, check out this:

http://www.hq-cooperation.de/english/rules.html

Characters:

The heroes start the challenges with the following values:
Attack Defense MindPoints Body Points Equipment
Barbarian 1+1 2 2 8 Longswordt (3+1 dice)
Elf 1 2 4 6 Short sword (2 dice)
Dwarf 1 2 3 7 Axe (3 dice)
Wizard 0 2 6 4 Staff (1 die)
Battle Mage 1 2 5 5 Short sword (2 dice)

The number of combat dice in the attack refer to the unarmed fight, without equipment. In the unarmed fight only green combat dice are used. Exception is the barbarian, who receives a white additional dice in the unarmed fight. As soon as the fighter carries a weapon, the green dice in close combat are replaced by the weapons corresponding the dices.

1.1 Special abilities of the Heroes

Barbarian:
The barbarian attacks in close combat with a hand weapon always with an extra white combat die. In case of „rust “only the weapon is damaged (see chapters 15,1 „to rust “), the barbarian attacks in this case with a long sword with 3 green and a white combat dice. Also with magic weapons, which attack with black dices, the type-referred combat dice remains always white. If the barbarian gains 9 body points, he may reroll the first throw on the „unconsciousness or death“ table, at reached 10 body points he receives +1 on the roll and may the repeat the roll once. The second roll is binding in each case.

Elf:
The Alb receives the four special abilities „herb healing “, „agility “, „Marksman “and „Mystic “. These abilities are not spells and do not depend on the number of mind points except „Mystic “
Herbalist: The Alb can regenerate once per challenge W6 body points with itself or a Hero with base contact .
Agility: Once per Quest the Alb may do due to its skill an additional action. That can be COMBAT- MOVE-COMBAT, MOVE-ACTION-COMBAT etc. It may however no action three times occur: COMBAT-COMBAT-COMBAT. The skill has to be announce BEFORE the beginning of his turn.
Marksman: When shooting with a Bow, one failed die may be rerolled once. If equipped with a Bow, the Alb can not attack with a long sword in close combat. He is obligatorily armed with a short sword. The only exception exists by „the spirit blade “. If the Alb should be in the possession of the spirit blade, he can use its abilities, however he can not attack diagonally.
Mystic: With his four Mind points the Alb is fundamental able to speak spells. However he does not know any spell at the beginning of the game. By furniture search tables it can happen, that the Alb finds spells from the magic lores. If the number of mind points sinks under 4, he cannot speak any spell (details in chapter 8.1, additional spells). The Alb finds a coincidentally determined spell set from the „lore of life“, the „lore of heaven“ and the „lore of light“. The other lores remain hidden for him.

Dwarf:
The Dwarf receives the special abilities „Master Mechanic“, „Magical resistance“ and „Iron Constitution“.
Master Mechanic: The dwafr may disarm any trap without a tool chest. When rolling to Disarm traps, the Dwarf fails only on the roll of a black shield.
Magical resistance: If a Chaosmage casts one of its spells on the dwarf, the dwarf may roll one Combat Die. On the roll of a black shield, he may ignore the spell completely. If a spell is cast on a group of people only and exclusively the dwarf is allowed to ignore the spell. If the dwarf reaches 4 Mind points, he may reroll the resistance throw once, at five Mind Points, he succeeds by rolling a white Shields. Injuries by „the magic trap “are exceptional from this rule.
Dwarf constitution: With all kinds of poisonings (poison needles in traps, poisonings with lasting consequences from the furniture search tables, treasure card „poison“, Centipede bite from the fate cards or hit by a weapon of an plague monk of the Skaven) the dwarf may likewise throw a white combat die and try to roll a black shield. If he succeeds, he suffers no injury. If the dwarf reaches 8 body points, he may reroll the constitution throw once, if he reaches 9 body points, he may try with white shields to repel the poisoning.
Wizard:
The wizard knows 3 basic spells (fireball, healing and magic shield) For each mind point he gets all 3 basic spells one time. With 6 Mind points, he gets a total of 18 Spells (6 of every kind). With increasing mind points, the number of basic spell also grows. (21 with 7 mind points, 24 with 8 mind points). To cast a spell, the wizard rolls to combat dice where the number of skulls make the actual damage. Here the following effects are valid :
- Fireball: The number of skulls corresponds to the damage, which the goal suffers .
- Healing: The number ofskulls corresponds to the healing of body points.
- Magic Shield: The number of skulls corresponds to the additional defense dice, with which the goal can defend itself immediately. The magic shield ends, if the carrier of the shield loses one body point. The Wizard can not terminate the effects of the shield. As long as the spell effect persists, the spell may not be spoken a second time on the same goal. The magic shield can be casted on the wizard himselves or any other Heroe.
All these basic spells can be casted in the line of sight (check chapter 4.1 Line of sight and DIRECT line of sight).
Actually the Zauberer has the free decision how often he will cast a spell, however there is a limiting restriction: Each basic spell may not be cast more than half of the complete amount of spells [Total spells divided by 2]: A Wizard with 6 mind points may cast altogether 18 basic spells, but none of them more than 9 times.
Example: After the orc raid, the wizard has casted 7 Fireballs, 3 Healings and 3 magic shields. So he has left another 5 Spells: He may cast another 2 fireballs, because he is not allowed to cast more then 9 of the same type in a single quest [Total spells divided by 2] . Now he must decide, how to distribute the remaining spells , if he casts 3 Healings or two magic shields and one healing and so on...
The Wizard starts to cast the spells with 2 green combat dice. There is a stage system, which permits the Wizard to improve his abilities independent from the quest. Starting from a certain number of successfully worked spells (only basis spells) he can cast spells with different coloured dice. The following magic stages are present:
Magic Stage succesful casted allowed dice
1 -9 2 green dice
2 10 - 29 1 green, 1 white
3 30 - 59 2 white
4 60 - 99 1 white, 1 black
5 from a 100 on 2 black

A spell is considered as worked, if with the throw at least 1 skull is obtained. For the fireball it is not of importance, whether the successfully casted charm causes also damage, the attempt was insignificant thus is successfully and valid the spell as successfully worked.
The casted charms (successful or not) are noted and summed up. If the amount of successfully worked charm is reached, the ascent permitted, (also in the middle in the play) the new, valid magic stage is used immediately.
Additionally to the basis charms the Wizard can select itself a further special spell per point of intelligence from the following sayings at the beginning of each challenge:
Genie - Heal Body - Rock skin - Courage - Vell of mist - Pass through rock - Tempest - Sleep - Swift wind - Wall of stone - Cloak of shadows
It concerns here the original spells of the HeroQuest Basic Game and some additional charms out of the HeroQuest extension „Wizards of Morcar“. These spells succeed as before automatically by casting them in the action phase.
The Wizard can acquire additionally to the special spells further spells, „the guild spells“. See for this chapter 8.1, additional spells.
The wizard is member of each order, he may cast spells from each lore.

Battle Mage:
The Battle mage is a Adept of the magic lores and starts the game with one set (3 spells) from the following Lores: Lore of the Heavens, Lore of Light, Lore of Life, Lore of Shadows, Lore of Beasts or Lore of Death.
To cast a certain spellset, the mage must be a member of one of the following orders:

Jade Order - Lore of Life
Amber Order - Lore of Beasts
Celestial Order - Lore of the Heavens
Light Order - Lore of Light
Grey Order - Lore of Shadows
Amethyst Order - Lore of Death

If the battle mage increases the number of his mind points on 6, he is allowed to regenerate the power for this spell.
The battle mage throws a combat die after casting a spell. If it throws a skull or a white shield, the spell cannot again be casted. If it throws a black shield, he can cast the spell again until he rolls again a skull or white shield while the regeneretion roll. If the battle mage reaches the maximum of 7 mind points, the regeneration already succeeds with a white shield. This throw may not be repeated however.
The battle mage can cast additional spells at higher number of his mind points temporarly received (see for this chapter 8.1, additional spells). However it may receive only one additional spell set, which is related to the membership of his order. A mage of the sky order cannot speak a spell set from the Order of death etc. the orders is related with one another as follows:
Lore of the Heavens / Lore of Light / Lore of Life
Lore of Shadows / Lore of Beasts / Lore of Death.
The Battle mage is a good close combat fighter, but has however not the physical forces of a barbarian or dwarf. Therefore he may never exceed a permanent attack value of 3. he is to be armed either with the long sword and/or an axe and may not buy, find or use other equipment.

kenn
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von kenn »

Well, as I said, I am teaching my grandson the game, so will stick to the basics for a while. Many thanks for all your help. Ken
Antworten