New and modified Chaos Spells

Forum for international users. Fans of HQ-Modular can exchange experiences and ask questions.

Moderator: Xarres

Antworten
Flint
Site Admin
Site Admin
New and modified Chaos Spells

Beitrag von Flint »

Hi everyone,

For a long time, I thought about the Chaos Spells and recognised, that I usually use the same two or three over and over again, because some of the original ones were much to strong for my sort of play. As stated before, I really like to play the Weevil Wizard with the intention to kill the heroes with equal chances. Therefore I modified the existing ones and thought about a few new ones.

Aim: To modify the existing Chaos-Spells for improved effect, greater choice, weakening over-powered spells, and converting the whole system to be cast with combat dice instead of d6.

No coloured dice are needed to cast the spells.

The PDF-File with 18! Chaos Spells can be downloaded here:

http://www.hq-cooperation.de/english/download.html

I would appreciate any (positive or negative) feedback.
Flint Eisenbart, Sohn von Brôn, Sohn des Andurin.

Offizieller Glöckner der Kirche der geheiligten und erleuchteten Stimmchenhörer :pfeif:

Die Homepage der HQ-Cooperation
drathe
Novize
Novize
Beitrag von drathe »

I like Pestilence. Destroy Enchantment is a bit vicious though. I personally don't understand the change from red die to combat die. I always thought red die were used as a sort of mental resistance to the magic. Which is why several original Chaos Spells call for one red die for each mind point.

As for defending normally against spells, I'm not entirely sold on that idea. Most Heroes are tough as it is, and Monsters tend to be pathetic. What usually makes a good boss unique is the use of spells, as they can be more harmful than a regular attack. Only those with higher mind points, thus a higher understanding of magic will have a better resistance. I kind of balance between wizards and barbarians. Allowing a barbarian to defend normally, say with all his extra defense dice from all the armour he can wear makes magic more dangerous to the wizard, who in turn should actually be more resistant.
Bild
Flint
Site Admin
Site Admin
Beitrag von Flint »

drathe, I use "Destroy Enchantment" not at free will. It is just an emergency break.

@red die: There were no red dice in german HQ games as far as I remember. We never had chaos spells :mrgreen: I think, it makes the game faster and more consistent.

With no defence, I would more often kill my Heroes, and that would probably bother them, therefor, I'd like give them at least a little protection.

As for the ball of flame, there has ever been a defence or not ?

Offizieller Glöckner der Kirche der geheiligten und erleuchteten Stimmchenhörer :pfeif:

drathe
Novize
Novize
Beitrag von drathe »

For the ball of flame, it does two damage. A hero rolls two red die, for each five or six rolled (in your case, a white shield) the damage is reduced by one. Your version is a match using a defence of two combat dice.

If you didn't have any red die in your version, then I understand and agree consistency with your system is best. For they new ones you created, have you thought about making a North American Conversion of those four?

I also like your version of Rust. Instead of a guaranteed disposal of a weapon or piece of armour, there is a chance of the spell failing or just minor damage. With the minor damage, how is that handled? Is there a reduction of strength in combat dice a weapon does, or less defence for armour? What happens to a weapon that only does one combat die in damage or defence, does it automatically rust?
Bild
Flint
Site Admin
Site Admin
Beitrag von Flint »

Yes, minor damage is represented through a change in the colour of the dice. A full set of these rules have been translated and will be published soon, maybe tomorrow.

drathe
Novize
Novize
Beitrag von drathe »

I just love those coloured dice. I gotta get me some of those some time in the future.
Bild
Flint
Site Admin
Site Admin
Beitrag von Flint »

You've got PM.

Flint
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: New and modified Chaos Spells

Beitrag von Flint »

Here are now the rules for damaged equipment:

Certain effects, either from the treasure deck, the Chaos Spell "Destruction", or whatever else, may cause harm to a Hero´s equipment. The result depends on what was affected and what caused the effect.

A rusted weapon may not be repaired by the blacksmith between the quests. It may however be sold for a quarter of its original price.

A damaged/jagged piece of equipment can be repaired for 50 Gold coins by the blacksmith between quests.

Rust:
If a hero's weapon is affected by "Rust" or any other source, he attacks with green combat dice when using that weapon. He may continue fighting with a rusted blade or axe, but if he comes in contact with "Rust" again then the weapon is destroyed. If a hero has more than one weapon and it is not clear as to which weapon is affected, the most recently used weapon is affected. If the weapon is already Jagged, it is then further damaged, resulting in the loss of the reduced die completely!
"Rust" that comes in contact with other protective armour (helmet, shield, chain mail, etc) destroys that piece of equipment immediately.
The following weapons and equipment are not made of metal and are thus not affected by "Rust": Quarterstaff, bow, jerkin. If so, the rule "Damaged" applies to them should they be the target of a randomly occurring instance or "rust". They may not be deliberately targeted by a "Rust" effect, such as the Chaos Spell "Destruction".

Damaged/Jagged:
If a piece of armour (helmet, shield, chain mail, cloak of protection, bracers, etc) is damaged, then one combat die granted to defence rolls by that armour is reduced from a white die to a blue die.
If a weapon is made "Jagged" , then one combat die granted to attack rolls by that weapon is reduced from a white die to a green die. If the weapon is already Rusted, it is then further damaged, resulting in the loss of the reduced die completely!

The Jerkin (worn by the Elf) may not be repaired after taking any damage at all - the laces come loose, the leather splits, and it is of no use any more. A Hero with damaged jerkin rolls one fewer combat die in defence.

Antworten