Why playing hallways that are two spaces wide ?

Forum for international users. Fans of HQ-Modular can exchange experiences and ask questions.

Moderator: Xarres

Antworten
Berend Jan
Novize
Novize
Why playing hallways that are two spaces wide ?

Beitrag von Berend Jan »

newbee question what's the fuzz about that 2 tiles hallway? What's the point of using that. Eveybody seems to be using it. is it just a way to make more momsters come at the players or what?
Grimnir
Forengott
Forengott
Beitrag von Grimnir »

The point of a 2 tiles hallway is that one monster can't bog down the whole party because the first heroe cannot kill the monster. The game becomes faster and more dynamic with wider corridors.

The other heroes do not have to wait untill the first hero can defeat the monster. Waiting is boring for the players and bored players are poison to the atmosphere of the game ;)
Zeremonienmeister der Kirche der geheiligten und erleuchteten Stimmchenhörer :pfeif:

„Genügt es nicht zu sehen, dass ein Garten schön ist, ohne dass man auch noch glauben müsste, dass Feen darin wohnen?“ - Douglas Adams
Phoenix
Knecht
Knecht
Beitrag von Phoenix »

a single corridor can add strategy to the Heroes' defense as well as create a need to plan and work cooperatively to defeat said monster. It's about the Heroes communicating and coming up with a viable game plan.

OTH, I can see how it would make the game go faster, as a monster can be double teamed and taken out forth-with, with little fuss or brainpower required. :)
Bild
Flint
Site Admin
Site Admin
Beitrag von Flint »

Phoenix hat geschrieben:a single corridor can add strategy to the Heroes' defense as well as create a need to plan and work cooperatively to defeat said monster. It's about the Heroes communicating and coming up with a viable game plan.

OTH, I can see how it would make the game go faster, as a monster can be double teamed and taken out forth-with, with little fuss or brainpower required. :)
I don't agree. At least not with the strategy option when playing at a random game order. I think there is even more strategy necessary, if you meet a pack of monsters on the junction hallway. There strategy is needed.
Flint Eisenbart, Sohn von Brôn, Sohn des Andurin.

Offizieller Glöckner der Kirche der geheiligten und erleuchteten Stimmchenhörer :pfeif:

Die Homepage der HQ-Cooperation
HeroQuestFrance
Knecht
Knecht
Re: Why playing hallways that are two spaces wide ?

Beitrag von HeroQuestFrance »

I like too single corridors.I really cannot explain it why.May be because it adds more atmosfear (lol) and a pit trap can be a serious threat with a ogre in front of...
Secret passages are also better if it are single corridors I think.
Anyway everyone has a different point of view about it.
Running is better than dying !
HeroKes
Novize
Novize

Re: Why playing hallways that are two spaces wide ?

Beitrag von HeroKes »

Hallways can be deadly, especially in my games. In my games, the elf is armed with a bow & arrow and some of the goblins and orcs use bows.

The rule is that bow-users get 2 combat dice as long as they are at least 2 full spaces away from their target and there is no obstructions or characters between them, but if bow users (including elf) are in adjacent spaces to their enemies, they only attack with 1 combat die.

This rule makes hallways much more interesting as distance combat comes into play and players have to cooperate to maximize their powers.

The barbarian may be the strongest character, but if he and a goblin archer are on opposite ends of a long hallway (such as at the top or bottom of the game board), the goblin can get several shots off at the barbarian before he can reach the goblin. And a crafty goblin can keep moving, keeping his distance from the party. Then, only the elf (or the wizard with spells) will be able to beat the goblin nuisance.

Unrelated to the original topic, I let the Dwarf start with an extra Defense die and I let the Wizard fight diagonally. Therefore each character has a unique combat tactic and the players will do best if they work together:
The Barbarian delivers hard hits
The Dwarf provides protection
The Elf attacks from a distance
And the Wizard cast spells and flanks

Related to the original topic: hallways make strategic formations much trickier.

I generally don't play campaign games. Characters start from scratch at the beginning of every game. Special items are only for the single adventure.
Antworten