HQ-Editor HeroScribe

Alles rund um's Thema HeroQuest, Advanced HeroQuest, Warhammer Quest. Bitte alle anderen Spiele in das Unterforum "Andere Spiele".

Moderatoren: Flint, Sanguinus, Xarres

Berserker
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von Berserker »

DerfelLink hat geschrieben:Sorry for the up but I'd want to advise you about the new release of HeroScribe, which will feature customizable boards such the german one:
Bild

Hi DerfelLink!
I'm just downloading HeroScribe as the other editors I tested for HQ are not _that_ good.

FYI: What you call "the german board" is *not* the official german board. The official german board has a 1-field-wide corridor at the outside, not a 2-field-wide (so I think it looks exactly like the US/UK/Italy version)!
The 2-field-wide is a customized board of HQ-Corp.
DerfelLink
Knecht
Knecht
Beitrag von DerfelLink »

Berserker hat geschrieben:What you call "the german board" is *not* the official german board. [...] The 2-field-wide is a customized board of HQ-Corp.
Yes, I do know the official german board is as the UK one, but I saw it on a german web site and named it after that ^^'.
What is actually the "HQ-Corp"?
Bild
Berserker
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von Berserker »

DerfelLink hat geschrieben:
Berserker hat geschrieben:What you call "the german board" is *not* the official german board. [...] The 2-field-wide is a customized board of HQ-Corp.
Yes, I do know the official german board is as the UK one, but I saw it on a german web site and named it after that ^^'.
What is actually the "HQ-Corp"?
Oh, awake that early, too?! :twisted:

Okay, I didn't get that.

HQ-Corp == http://www.hq-cooperation.de (look at the URL in your browser) :wink: 8)

Okay, now that you're not sleeping...

I played around a bit with your HQ editor.

First things first: It's better than the 3 I've already tested. :D

What I would like to have:

Don't choose things by name but by icon.

Even if you keep the names in the first place, sort them more in categories, not alphabetically. And sort them better.
Example given: "Single blocked square" and "Double blocked square" mean the same thing, but due to alphabetically sorting they got secret doors and stuff between them that makes finding the searched part much more difficult.

"Short" and "Long Stairway" is at "Various", but the "Entrance 'curved' stairway" is at "furniture"???? *WTF??*

I would put at least the "entrance" kind at "Doors", as they are both for entering/leaving. Maybe call "Doors" "Throughfare" or "Openings" (a portcullis isn't a door either).

I miss an option like "original tilesets only" - as I got the basis pack and all 4 extensions, but no stuff like "yeti" and many of the tiles. This is a bit irritating.

And last but not least, I would appreciate a localisation. It's difficult to translate the german thoughts to english text.
When I am searching for "Schrank" I must look for "cupboard", "Treppe" means "stairway" and the like...
(BTW this would be hell a lot easier if the things wouldn't be sorted plain alphabetically).
But that should be of no big problem, just make some mapping ini file (or XML for that matter), with for example

"Cupboard", "Schrank"
"Door", "Tür"

which I could point your application to to get the entities in native language.
If you send me a stub I would of course translate it.
(Java uses Unicode natively IIRC, so "ä', 'Ö', 'ß', etc. in German isn't supposed to be a problem.)

BTW: Is' your source available?

But thanks for the program, my first map is already ready. :D

I was just thinking of programming a little "scroll introduction" text editor, as the scrolls with nice text of mission introduction are looking much sweeter than the big-square american ones with Arial font IMHO.
Anybody knows where to get that HeroQuest Font?
Berserker
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von Berserker »

Forget about the font, the HQ Font thread just came up all the way... :wink:
Flint
Site Admin
Site Admin
Beitrag von Flint »

...sounds like magic.... :roll:
Flint Eisenbart, Sohn von Brôn, Sohn des Andurin.

Offizieller Glöckner der Kirche der geheiligten und erleuchteten Stimmchenhörer :pfeif:

Die Homepage der HQ-Cooperation
DerfelLink
Knecht
Knecht
Beitrag von DerfelLink »

Jeez, get a breath mate ^^!
I'll try to answer to all of your questions ;).
Berserker hat geschrieben:First things first: It's better than the 3 I've already tested.
Feel better now :D.
Berserker hat geschrieben:Don't choose things by name but by icon.
We may think to add something like that; it could be a little hard though (read it as "Next release, probably").
Berserker hat geschrieben:Even if you keep the names in the first place, sort them more in categories, not alphabetically. And sort them better.
Some HeroScribe users have already told us to sort monsters by categories; how would you sort them? By the minis colour?
Berserker hat geschrieben:"Single blocked square" and "Double blocked square" mean the same thing, but due to alphabetically sorting they got secret doors and stuff between them that makes finding the searched part much more difficult.
That's pretty easy for the blocked squares, but what about all the other icons? Again, how would you sort them?
Berserker hat geschrieben:"Short" and "Long Stairway" is at "Various", but the "Entrance 'curved' stairway" is at "furniture"???? *WTF??*
Stairway has already been moved to Various in the next-coming HeroScribe release.
Berserker hat geschrieben:I would put at least the "entrance" kind at "Doors", as they are both for entering/leaving. Maybe call "Doors" "Throughfare" or "Openings" (a portcullis isn't a door either).
We really don't like the idea of the stairway being in the Door section; we may like it being in a wider section as you suggested.
We must find a decent name though :D.
Berserker hat geschrieben:I miss an option like "original tilesets only" - as I got the basis pack and all 4 extensions, but no stuff like "yeti" and many of the tiles. This is a bit irritating.
I'm afraid you don't own/know the American expansion sets, as the Yeti and "many of the tiles" come from there.
Have a look at this page for more info.
Berserker hat geschrieben:I would appreciate a localisation. It's difficult to translate the german thoughts to english text.
When I am searching for "Schrank" I must look for "cupboard", "Treppe" means "stairway" and the like...
(BTW this would be hell a lot easier if the things wouldn't be sorted plain alphabetically).
But that should be of no big problem, just make some mapping ini file (or XML for that matter), with for example

"Cupboard", "Schrank"
"Door", "Tür"

(Java uses Unicode natively IIRC, so "ä', 'Ö', 'ß', etc. in German isn't supposed to be a problem.)
That would be a lot to translate; if you step up we may think about the localization.
Berserker hat geschrieben:Is' your source available?
Not sure about that (I work at the graphic side of the project ^^'), please download the second link from lightless.org (HeroScribe_1.0pre1.zip) and check it out by yourself ;).

I'm going to talk about your suggestions with Yota (the other project side ^^), so stay tuned.
Bild
Berserker
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von Berserker »

Berserker hat geschrieben:Don't choose things by name but by icon.
We may think to add something like that; it could be a little hard though (read it as "Next release, probably").
That's the thing I found quite useful in the other editors.

Berserker hat geschrieben:Even if you keep the names in the first place, sort them more in categories, not alphabetically. And sort them better.
Some HeroScribe users have already told us to sort monsters by categories; how would you sort them? By the minis colour?
Mhh... what is "minis color"?! Sorry but dict.leo.org doesn't know the word "minis"... :?
For example I would place all undead in one category (mummies, skeletons, zombies)...

Berserker hat geschrieben:"Single blocked square" and "Double blocked square" mean the same thing, but due to alphabetically sorting they got secret doors and stuff between them that makes finding the searched part much more difficult.
That's pretty easy for the blocked squares, but what about all the other icons? Again, how would you sort them?
Mhhh... maybe we should ask the others as well?
Before I give a fast shot maybe some more people should get involved and really discuss and ponder about a good category system... :idea:

Berserker hat geschrieben:I would put at least the "entrance" kind at "Doors", as they are both for entering/leaving. Maybe call "Doors" "Throughfare" or "Openings" (a portcullis isn't a door either).
We really don't like the idea of the stairway being in the Door section; we may like it being in a wider section as you suggested.
We must find a decent name though :D.
Mhhh... it would be a fine thing though.
In a "usual map", you place exactly ONE entrance/exit stairway _or_ a combination of ONE entrance and ONE exit door. That's it.
So that should be in a category of it's own, so you just have to place them and never need to mess with them again in the further map-creation process.

Berserker hat geschrieben:I miss an option like "original tilesets only" - as I got the basis pack and all 4 extensions, but no stuff like "yeti" and many of the tiles. This is a bit irritating.
I'm afraid you don't own/know the American expansion sets, as the Yeti and "many of the tiles" come from there.
Actually, I DO know of the existance of the Barbarian and Elf Quest Packs and the Adventure Design Kit.
But because they never were released in Germany at that time, I don't own them.
Even with ebay and the like it's hard to get them.

Actually, I would go further and allow "checking" of all of the extensions via a check box each.
Maybe some guy just got the basis pack and "versus the ogre hordes" and also want to create some custom maps.
Of course that guy couldn't use any of the "witch lord" oder "kellar's keep" tiles, traps, etc.
So they should be "grayed out" if you switch some extensions off in the options menue.

Berserker hat geschrieben:I would appreciate a localisation. It's difficult to translate the german thoughts to english text.

"Cupboard", "Schrank"
"Door", "Tür"

That would be a lot to translate; if you step up we may think about the localization.
Sure, no problem:

Code: Alles auswählen

# Buttons
"Add object", "Objekt hinzufügen"
"Select/Remove object", "Objekt auswählen/entfernen"
"Dark/Bridge", "Felder schattieren/Brücke"

# Categories
"Heroes", "Heroen"
"Barbarian", "Barbar"
"Dwarf", "Zwerg"
"Elf", "Alb"
"Wizard", "Zauberer"

"Monsters", "Monster"
"Chaos Warrior", "Chaos-Krieger"
# Dark Warrior
"Death Mist", "Todesnebel"
# Elven Archer
# Elven Warrior
"Fimir", "Fimir"	# same
# Frozen Horror
"Gargoyle", "Gargoyle"	# same
# Giant Wolf
"Goblin", "Goblin"	# same
# Ice Gremlin
"Mummy", "Mumie"
"Ogre Champion", "Ogre Offizier"			# not sure about these
"Ogre Chieftain", "Ogre Oberbefehlshaber"	# not sure ...
"Ogre Lord", "Ogre Herrscher"			# not sure ...
"Ogre Warrior", "Ogre Krieger"
"Orc", "Orc"	# same (maybe: "Ork")
# Polar Warbear
"Skeleton", "Skelett"
# Yeti
"Zombie", "Zombie"	# same

"Men-at-Arms",	"Landsknechte"
"Crossbowman", "Armbruster"
"Halberdier", "Hellebarder"
"Scout", "Pfadfinder"
"Swordsman", "Fechter"

"Furniture", "Möbel/Einrichtungsgegenstände"
"Alchemist's Bench", "Alchimisten-Tisch"
"Bookcase", "Bücherregal"
"Coffin", "Sarg"
"Cupboard", "Geschirrschrank"
"Fireplace", "Kamin"
# Ice Tunnel A
# Ice Tunnel B
# Ice Tunnel C
"Ogre Throne", "Ogre Thron"
# Rack (dunno?! maybe BQ or EQ?)
"Sorcerer's Table", "Altar"
"Stairway", "Startfeld"	# which means "Starting Field" - a 1:1 translation would be "Treppe" or "Wendeltreppe"
"Table", "Tisch"
"Throne", "Thron"
"Tomb", "Sarkophag"
"Trap Door", "Falltür"
"Treasure Chest", "Schatztruhe"
"Treasure Chest with Trap", "Schatztruhe mit Falle"
"Weapons Rack", "Waffenschrank"

"Doors", "Türen"
"Door", "Tür"
"Door In", "Eingangstür"
"Door Out", "Ausgangstür"
"Door with Trap", "Tür mit Falle"
"Double Arrow Door", "Tür (zwei Pfeile)"
"Open Door", "Offene Tür"
"Portcullis", "Fallgatter"
"Stone Doorway", "Steintür"

"Marks", "Markierungen"
"Letter A", "Buchstabe A"	# maybe just call them "A", "B", ...
# ... many more
"Number 1", "Nummer 1"	# maybe just call them "1", "10", "11", ...
# ... many more
"Numbers 1 and 2", "Nummern 1 und 2"
"Numbers 2 and 12", "Nummern 2 und 12"

"Traps", "Fallen"
"Deep Pit Trap", "Gruft der Finsternis"
"Deep Pit Trap Alternate", "Gruft der Finsternis (alternativ)"
"Falling Rock", "Schlagfalle"
"Fireburst Trap", "Feuerbrunst-Falle"
"Hurricane Trap", "Orkan-Falle"
# Long Pit Trap
"Pit Trap", "Fallgrube"
"Spear Trap", "Speerfalle"
# Stalactite
# Star Burst
"Swinging Axe", "Fallbeil (schwarzes Auslöser-Feld)"	# I would rename them "Swinging Axe (black trigger field)" and "Swinging Axe (white damage field)",
"Swinging Blade Trap", "Fallbeil (weißes Schaden-Feld)"	# because at the moment it looks like these are two different traps which is not the case.
# That for I translated it that way either.

"Rooms", "Räume"
"Battle Room", "Schlacht-Raum"
# Bottomless Chasm
# Cage Room
"Carpet Room", "Raum mit Teppich"
"Chaos Room", "Chaos Grube"
"Cloud of Chaos", "Magische Finsternis"
# Frozen Crypt Room
# Ice Cave Entrance
# Ice Gremlin Treasure Room
# Ice Ledge
# Ice Vault 2x3
# Ice Vault 3x4
# Inner Sanctum
# Living Fog Room
"Pit Room", "Bodenlose Höhle"
# Quicksand	# would be "Treibsand"
"Revolving Room", "Rotierender Raum"
# Scepter Room
# Seat of Power
"Sun Eye Room", "Raum mit Augen-Symbol"
"Surface", "Oberirdischer Bereich"
"Throne Room", "Thronsaal"	# but isn't really applicable here :/

"Various", "Verschiedenes"
"Arrow", "Pfeil (weiß)"
"Cliff Corridor", "Grins Rachen"
# Crystal Key
"Dark Arrow", "Pfeil (schwarz)"
"Double Blocked Square", "Blockiertes Feld (doppelt)"
"Dwarven Forge / Weapons Forge", "Zwergen-Schmiede"
"Fog", "Atem des Chaos"
"Giant Stone Boulder", "Großer Felsen"
# Ice Slide
# Icy River 1x3
# Icy River 1x8
"Long Stairway", "Lange Treppe"
"Secret Door", "Geheimtür"
"Secret Door Alternate", "Geheimtür (alternativ)"
"Short Stairway", "Kurze Treppe"
"Single Blocked Square", "Blockiertes Feld (einzeln)"
# Slippery Ice 1x1
# SI
# SI
# SI
"Stairs", "Treppenstück"
"Teleport Trap A", "Beam-Falle (A)"
"Teleport Trap B", "Beam-Falle (B)"
"Wandering Monster", "Streunendes Monster"
Explaination:
The hash sign "#" introduces a comment line.
Strings from the editor are embraced by quotes (").
Commas divide the original name from the translated name.
Every line ends with a CRLF.

So for a fast hack, you could just iterate through the objects list, search for the string in my definition file, and use the second string instead.

As already mentioned: Some names come from american-only extensions, which never had a real (read: official) translation to German, so I skipped them and added a comment line instead.

Maybe some of the HQ-heads here in the board should discuss about a "best" translation for that kind of stuff.

As I do not own BQ or EQ, I don't really care about that.
(Of course if nobody wants to discuss I'll try a 1:1 translation.)

Berserker hat geschrieben:Is' your source available?
Not sure about that (I work at the graphic side of the project ^^'), please download the second link from lightless.org (HeroScribe_1.0pre1.zip) and check it out by yourself ;).
Later that morning, I've read that HS is released under GPL. So source should be available. ;)
I will check the ZIP out... 8)

DerfelLink hat geschrieben:I'm going to talk about your suggestions with Yota (the other project side ^^), so stay tuned.
Cool. 8)

BTW I hope you understand that the size of my criticism is really a good thing: If I wouldn't like HS or don't see a lot of potential in it, I would spare my time somewhere else. :D

What I wanted to say is: Just because I post 2 pages full of "advice" doesn't mean I don't like your product. :idea:
In fact it's the other way round.

Thank you! 8)

What's especially great is the fact that you're using vector graphics. The unlimited zooming and great quality is very nice.
I bet it was a hellish work to translate the raster-scans of HQ object into vector graphics... :shock:

*thumbsup* Very great! :twisted:
Berserker
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von Berserker »

Berserker hat geschrieben:
Actually, I DO know of the existance of the Barbarian and Elf Quest Packs and the Adventure Design Kit.
But because they never were released in Germany at that time, I don't own them.
Even with ebay and the like it's hard to get them.

Actually, I would go further and allow "checking" of all of the extensions via a check box each.
Maybe some guy just got the basis pack and "versus the ogre hordes" and also want to create some custom maps.
Of course that guy couldn't use any of the "witch lord" oder "kellar's keep" tiles, traps, etc.
So they should be "grayed out" if you switch some extensions off in the options menue.
Ahhh... one thing more:

You could also do an "inverse check":
Each time the user add another object to the scene, the program could check exactly WHAT extensions are needed for that map.
I.e.: If you add the "Deep Pit Trap" it would say: You need the basis pack and "versus the ogre hords" for playing that map.
If you add the 5th skeleton it would say: You need basis + witch lord (as the basis game just got 4 skeletons).
If you add a second cupboard: You need at least 2 basis packs for that.

etc.
DerfelLink
Knecht
Knecht
Beitrag von DerfelLink »

First, I want you to know I really appreciate your feedbacks ;).
Berserker hat geschrieben:what is "minis color"?! Sorry but dict.leo.org doesn't know the word "minis"... :? For example I would place all undead in one category (mummies, skeletons, zombies)...
Minis stands for miniatures; that means green minis would make a category, white one another and so on. Please, feel free to make your categories.
Berserker hat geschrieben:maybe we should ask the others as well? Before I give a fast shot maybe some more people should get involved and really discuss and ponder about a good category system...
I wish the others were interested as you are, fact is except for some most of the users didn't actually care to pass by; maybe it's the english language, I don't know.
Berserker hat geschrieben:In a "usual map", you place exactly ONE entrance/exit stairway _or_ a combination of ONE entrance and ONE exit door. That's it. So that should be in a category of it's own, so you just have to place them and never need to mess with them again in the further map-creation process.
I don't like a category to have one poor object (or two), but I do enjoy the idea of making a larger category where to put every single door with the stairway icon.
Berserker hat geschrieben:Actually, I would go further and allow "checking" of all of the extensions via a check box each. Maybe some guy just got the basis pack and "versus the ogre hordes" and also want to create some custom maps. Of course that guy couldn't use any of the "witch lord" oder "kellar's keep" tiles, traps, etc. So they should be "grayed out" if you switch some extensions off in the options menue.
That's another interesting point, I'll write it on my list ^^.
Berserker hat geschrieben:As already mentioned: Some names come from american-only extensions, which never had a real (read: official) translation to German, so I skipped them and added a comment line instead. Maybe some of the HQ-heads here in the board should discuss about a "best" translation for that kind of stuff.
Thanks for the fastest translation, it's now saved on my HD ;); we'll talk about making the localization.
Regarding the american names which have never been on the german land ^^, I hope you with the help of someone else will be able to translate them; I'm not asking you to do it because we're still thinking about it. I wouldn't want you to waste your time.
Berserker hat geschrieben:As I do not own BQ or EQ, I don't really care about that. (Of course if nobody wants to discuss I'll try a 1:1 translation.)
Actually we do; we are really proud of the fact HeroScribe owns all of the official HeroQuest icons, so in case of a german localizaztion we'd need 'em.
Berserker hat geschrieben:I hope you understand that the size of my criticism is really a good thing: If I wouldn't like HS or don't see a lot of potential in it, I would spare my time somewhere else.
Please don't worry, still I appreciate the size and quality of your suggestions.
Berserker hat geschrieben:What's especially great is the fact that you're using vector graphics. The unlimited zooming and great quality is very nice. I bet it was a hellish work to translate the raster-scans of HQ object into vector graphics...
You betcha :D! I think I've been working on that for almost 3 years; that long before I could find all the icons. Time spent on scanning, converting, rounding out and sweating on those #%&*@*# icons is unbelievable.
Thing is HeroScribe's product is perfect, and that's worth it.
Berserker hat geschrieben:You could also do an "inverse check": each time the user add another object to the scene, the program could check exactly WHAT extensions are needed for that map.
Nice one ;)!
We'll think about that either.
Berserker hat geschrieben:If you add the "Deep Pit Trap" it would say: You need the basis pack and "versus the ogre hords" for playing that map.
That wouldn't be hard.
Berserker hat geschrieben:If you add the 5th skeleton it would say: You need basis + witch lord (as the basis game just got 4 skeletons).
I think this is too much, but still useful.
We need time ^^'.
Bild
Berserker
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von Berserker »

DerfelLink hat geschrieben:First, I want you to know I really appreciate your feedbacks ;).
Thank you. 8)

Berserker hat geschrieben:what is "minis color"?! Sorry but dict.leo.org doesn't know the word "minis"... :? For example I would place all undead in one category (mummies, skeletons, zombies)...
Minis stands for miniatures; that means green minis would make a category, white one another and so on. Please, feel free to make your categories.
Oops.... *knocking-myself-to-the-forehead* I didn't get that. :shock:
Okay, so that's a good beginning.
As all undead are white, etc.
It seems okay to me.

Berserker hat geschrieben:maybe we should ask the others as well? Before I give a fast shot maybe some more people should get involved and really discuss and ponder about a good category system...
I wish the others were interested as you are, fact is except for some most of the users didn't actually care to pass by; maybe it's the english language, I don't know.
Do you mean the people here (I'm a complete newbie here!!) or all of your users?
I'm not good at english either, but I think we understand both of us pretty well (most of the time ;) )...

Berserker hat geschrieben:In a "usual map", you place exactly ONE entrance/exit stairway _or_ a combination of ONE entrance and ONE exit door. That's it. So that should be in a category of it's own, so you just have to place them and never need to mess with them again in the further map-creation process.
I don't like a category to have one poor object (or two)
You didn't get that. It would own _three_! :P ;) (entrance door, exit door, entrance&exit stairway tile)
The thing is: In the further process of map-making, when I want to place a door, I can't by chance choose the "wrong" (another) entrance door and ain't irritated by them in the door section.

BTW: The best thing you could do, make the category system completely customizable.
I bet this even wouldn't that hard to be, as you have your categories saved in an XML anyways (I think?).
Just add a drag&drop interface for them and an option to save the layout.
You should also be able to rename categories either.

DerfelLink hat geschrieben:Thanks for the fastest translation, it's now saved on my HD ;); we'll talk about making the localization.
Regarding the american names which have never been on the german land ^^, I hope you with the help of someone else will be able to translate them;
Errr... it hadn't been a problem for me to quickly translate them also, as "Icy Room" and "Yeti" are easy understandable.
The fact is that I don't own the extensions to see the tiles in context of the missions. Maybe the mission description says "Go down to the icy room of darkness" and then, I would translate "Icy Room" slighty different to match the mission better, for example.
The other fact is, that AFAIK some german HQ-heads already translated all missions and add-on treasure cards and stuff, and maybe used some slightly different more "adventurous" translation than a common 1:1 one, to catch the mood better.
If I did a quick 1:1 translation there would exist some inconsitencies, which would be bad...

Berserker hat geschrieben:As I do not own BQ or EQ, I don't really care about that. (Of course if nobody wants to discuss I'll try a 1:1 translation.)
Actually we do; we are really proud of the fact HeroScribe owns all of the official HeroQuest icons, so in case of a german localizaztion we'd need 'em.
LOL - then it wouldn't be "official" anymore, as there is no "official" german BQ or EQ translation... ;)

Berserker hat geschrieben:What's especially great is the fact that you're using vector graphics. The unlimited zooming and great quality is very nice. I bet it was a hellish work to translate the raster-scans of HQ object into vector graphics...
You betcha :D! I think I've been working on that for almost 3 years; that long before I could find all the icons.
3 years?!?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wheeew... :twisted: *patting-your-shoulder* 8)

Berserker hat geschrieben:If you add the "Deep Pit Trap" it would say: You need the basis pack and "versus the ogre hords" for playing that map.
That wouldn't be hard.
Berserker hat geschrieben:If you add the 5th skeleton it would say: You need basis + witch lord (as the basis game just got 4 skeletons).
I think this is too much, but still useful.
Mhh... I don't see anything more complicated in the second case than in the first one!?? :?:

All you need is a inventory list of each of the extensions and the basis game.
DerfelLink
Knecht
Knecht
Beitrag von DerfelLink »

Berserker hat geschrieben:Do you mean the people here (I'm a complete newbie here!!) or all of your users?
I'm referring to the people from this board.
Berserker hat geschrieben:The best thing you could do, make the category system completely customizable. I bet this even wouldn't that hard to be, as you have your categories saved in an XML anyways (I think?). Just add a drag&drop interface for them and an option to save the layout. You should also be able to rename categories either.
I think we may talk of that on next HS' releases, not the next-one.
Berserker hat geschrieben:I don't see anything more complicated in the second case than in the first one!?? All you need is a inventory list of each of the extensions and the basis game.
I didn't mean the second one is more complicated, I meant it's not necessary for the time being.
Regarding the inventory, that's surely not a problem, I own all the expansion sets and could make it by myself ;).

Here's a list with your suggestions:
  • List icons not by their names but by relative images.
  • Sort names not alphabetically buy by categories.
  • Create a larger category where to put every single Door plus the Stairway.
  • Create a localization.
  • Make available the selection of the expansion sets.
  • Make a list of used minis and tiles on the current map.
Give us some time to choose whether and what to do ;).
Bild
Berserker
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von Berserker »

Hello again.

As I couldn't sleep any more the last hour ( :( ) I grabbed your ZIP file and watched for the source.

Then I did a quick hack to apply my localisation file, which worked quite flawlessly: :D
Bild

The objects and "kinds" are no problem reiterating these and exchanging the names by a localisation.txt file.

Bild

But the menues and buttons - and especially explaination text like quick tips - are a problem, because you hardcoded them.
Look at this:
Bild

My silly (but quite functional and easy in that case) approach with reiterating the names and exchange them would be even more silly with the menu buttons and quick tips.

A better approach would be to name some variables that way, and when really executing the program just put the variables in there instead of hardcoded text.
That way, you could simply load the variables with another localisation.txt (in all - forget that - MANY languages (japanese would be harder ;) )) before adding the menue stuff to the program.

Maybe the next day when I got time I will try this.

The additions I put in are quite simple:

Code: Alles auswählen

Quest quest;
		boolean applyLocalisation = false;

if(args.length > 0)
		{
			if(args[0].equals("-localisation")) applyLocalisation = true;
		}

try {
			UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());

/* Doing some MacOS X tweaks */
			if ( OS.isMacOsX() ) {
				System.setProperty("apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar", "true");
			}
		}
		catch (Exception e) {
			e.printStackTrace();
		}

try {
			System.err.println("starting up.");

preferences = new Preferences(Constants.preferencesFile);

objects = new org.lightless.heroscribe.list.Read(new File("Objects.xml")).getObjects();

System.err.println("objects read.");

if(applyLocalisation)
			{
				/* FAKE TEST LOCALISATION	
				Iterator iterator = objects.objectsIterator();
				while ( iterator.hasNext() ) {
					LObject obj = (LObject) iterator.next();

if(obj.name.equals("Quicksand")) obj.name = "Treibsand";
				} */
				Hashtable localTable = new Hashtable();
				BufferedReader localReader = new BufferedReader(new FileReader("localisation.txt"));
				String readLine = localReader.readLine();
				while(readLine != null)
				{
					if(readLine.startsWith("#"))
					{
						// found a comment line
						readLine = localReader.readLine();
						continue; 
					}
					int localOriginalStart	= readLine.indexOf('\"');
					int localOriginalEnd	= readLine.indexOf('\"', localOriginalStart + 1);
					int localLocalisationStart	= readLine.indexOf('\"', localOriginalEnd + 1);
					int localLocalisationEnd	= readLine.indexOf('\"', localLocalisationStart + 1);
					if(localOriginalStart >= 0 && localOriginalEnd > localOriginalStart + 2
							&& localLocalisationStart > localOriginalEnd + 2 && localLocalisationEnd > localLocalisationStart + 2)
					{
						String localOriginalText		= readLine.substring(localOriginalStart + 1, localOriginalEnd);
						String localLocalisationText	= readLine.substring(localLocalisationStart + 1, localLocalisationEnd);
						localTable.put(localOriginalText, localLocalisationText);
					}

readLine = localReader.readLine();
				}

Iterator iterator = objects.objectsIterator();
					LObject obj = (LObject) iterator.next();

if(localTable.containsKey(obj.name)) obj.name = (String)localTable.get(obj.name);
				}

iterator = objects.kindsIterator();
					Kind obj = (Kind) iterator.next();

if(localTable.containsKey(obj.name)) obj.name = (String)localTable.get(obj.name);
				}

System.err.println("localisation applied.");
			}

new SplashScreenImageLoader(objects);
It should be easy understandable.

Just put my text from above to a plain ASCII file called "localisation.txt" in the HeroScribe directory and start with the "-localisation" commandline parameter.[/quote]
Berserker
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von Berserker »

Oah, what I wanted to ask:

I see a lot of PNG files in the HeroScribe directory.
So I think you internally use plain PNG files and no vector graphics, am I right there?

Then there should no big problem using them for buttons and stuff, eh?!

BTW: 2 further advices:

The "darkening function" of squares should be able to handle a drag&drop-rectangle request, i.e. that I can drag my clicked mouse to create a 8x6 darkening area, as selecting every single N/A square is quite messy.

You could also do an "autocheck" function: When the user is ready creating the map, he clicks the button and the program checks for itself which squares to gray out (starting at the entrance stairway / door and checking which squares are completely unreachable by any characters).

And then you should update your link to the Java Runtime (which in fact is needed for running HeroScribe). At the moment it points to java.sun.com/... which is the developer URL of Java, and the user doesn't want to download "NetBeans", the JDK (Java Development Kit), or got distracted by the overwhelming stuff.
All the user needs is the JRE (Java Runtime Environment). So point it them to http://www.java.com. The user usually gets the content in his native language and is even able to download and install the JRE straight from the browser.

You could further enhance that by adding JNLP WebStart support, so that the user could launch HeroScribe even by a single click on you website. :idea:

Okay... I think I get some coffee... 8)
DerfelLink
Knecht
Knecht
Beitrag von DerfelLink »

Berserker hat geschrieben:I see a lot of PNG files in the HeroScribe directory. So I think you internally use plain PNG files and no vector graphics, am I right there?
Yes PNG files are there, they are used in spite of vector graphics and could be used; we're finding some troubles because the list of images (IE: all the rooms) could be really long and wouldn't be really useful.
We're thinkink about it though.
Berserker hat geschrieben:The "darkening function" of squares should be able to handle a drag&drop-rectangle request, i.e. that I can drag my clicked mouse to create a 8x6 darkening area, as selecting every single N/A square is quite messy. [...] When the user is ready creating the map, he clicks the button and the program checks for itself which squares to gray out (starting at the entrance stairway / door and checking which squares are completely unreachable by any characters).
We've already passed through this, it's not that easy to produce what you're writing; will talk about that too.
Bild
Berserker
Novize
Novize

Beitrag von Berserker »

OK. Today I am experimenting with an icon preview:

Bild

That would remove the biggest flaw in the text-only choice dialogs.

Maybe I need to look at some Java Swing tutorials now to go any further... :wink:
Antworten